This vegetarian meat alternative is easy to make at home using wheat gluten and a few pantry staples and can be used in place of tofu and tempeh in a range of dishes.
The ingredient of Seitan recipe
- 150g (1 cup) wheat gluten flour
- 50g (1/3) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 185ml (3/4 cup) water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
The instruction how to make Seitan recipe
- Combine the wheat gluten, plain flour and nutritional yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Combine the water, oil and soy sauce in a jug. Add to the flour mixture and use the dough hook to knead for 3 minutes or until a firm, spongy dough forms.
- Divide the mixture into 2 pieces and place on an oiled tray. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes to rest.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the dough. Simmer, partially covered, over medium heat for 45 minutes or until the seiten has increased in size and wobbles slightly when pressed.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Slice, mince or chop according to the recipe.
Nutritions of Seitan recipecalories: