A beef and beer pie will never go out of fashion. For the full experience, serve your pie with a big helping of mushy pea mash.
The ingredient of Beef and beer pie
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1.2kg beef cheeks, sinew trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stick, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 330ml can Guinness
- 500ml ctn chicken consommu00e9
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, just thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 190g (1 1/4 cups) frozen peas, thawed
- 60ml (1/4 cup) pouring cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
The instruction how to make Beef and beer pie
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Season beef and cook for 3-5u00a0minutes on each side until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil over medium-low heat. Cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic for 5u00a0minutes or until just softened. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually add Guinness, stirring constantly. Add consommu00e9, tomato paste, bay, thyme, sugar and beef. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover partially. Cook for 2 hours or until very tender. Season. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 220u00b0C/200u00b0C fan forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Cut four 12cm rounds or ovals from the pastry. Brush with egg and bake for 10-15 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Meanwhile, for pea mash, heat oil in au00a0small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add peas and cream. Cook, mashing peas slightly, for 5 minutes or until cream is reduced. Season. Stir in mint.
- Serve beef with pea mash and pastry.
Nutritions of Beef and beer piecalories: