With a crunchy potato top and a full-of-flavour beef stew underneath, this bake is sure to become a family favourite.
The ingredient of Crispy potato-topped beef stew
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, thickly sliced
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2/3 cup dry red wine
- 400g jar basil pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus extra to serve
- Olive oil spray
- 600g baby charisma potatoes, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Crispy potato-topped beef stew
- Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in 2 batches, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a heatproof bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in same dish over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are starting to brown. Add thyme and bay leaves. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add wine. Cook for 2 minutes or until reduced by half. Add pasta sauce, stock and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a simmer. Return beef to pan. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 1 hour or until beef is almost tender. Remove beef from heat.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Combine potato and garlic salt in a bowl. Top beef mixture with sliced potato. Spray with oil. Cover. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover. Increase oven to 220C/200C fan-forced. Bake for 30 minutes or until potato is golden and tender. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Nutritions of Crispy potato-topped beef stewcalories: