A classic winter dish, these delicious Beef, Guinness & Mushroom Pies are slow-cooked to perfection and then topped with crunchy filo pastry.
The ingredient of Beef, Guinness and mushroom pies
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.7kg Coles Beef Chuck Casserole Steak, trimmed, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 440ml can Guinness
- 2 beef stock cubes, crumbled
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 200g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 6 sheets fresh filo pastry
- olive oil spray
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Steamed brussels sprouts, to serve
The instruction how to make Beef, Guinness and mushroom pies
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Cook one-quarter of the beef for 5 mins or until well browned. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with remaining oil and beef. Reduce heat to medium. Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until soft.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 30 secs. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for a further 30 secs. Gradually add the Guinness, stirring and scraping the base of the pan. Stir in the stock cubes. Return the beef to the pan. Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer, covered, over very low heat for 1 hr. Add carrot, mushroom and bay leaf and cook for 1 hr or until meat is very tender. Uncover and cook for 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until liquid has reduced and thickened. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 190C (170C fan-forced). Divide the beef mixture among six 1 1/4 cup shallow ovenproof dishes. Place the filo on a clean work surface. Cover with a dry tea towel, then a damp tea towel (this prevents it from drying out). Spray 1 filo sheet with oil, then fold it in half crossways. Spray with oil, then fold in half lengthways. Lay filo over filling, scrunching the top and tucking in the sides. Repeat with the remaining filo sheets and dishes.
- Place dishes on a large baking tray. Bake for 15-20 mins or until pastry is crisp and golden. Serve with mash and brussels sprouts.
Nutritions of Beef, Guinness and mushroom piescalories: