Warm up this winter with Curtis Stone & Olympian James Magnussens sensational marsala braised beef with parsnips, pumpkin and silverbeet.
The ingredient of Marsala braised beef
- 600g beef chuck casserole steak, cut into 3cm cubes
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 1/12 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 small shallots, peeled, halved lengthways
- 2 sticks celery, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Angoves All Uovo (an Australian flavoured, fortified wine similar to Sicilian marsala)
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups beef or chicken stock
- 4 strips orange peel, (removed with peeler), white pith removed
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 2cm pieces (about 3 cups)
- 5 small parsnips, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 200g (about 3 large leaves) silverbeet, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- Crusty bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Marsala braised beef
- Season beef with salt and pepper in a bowl. Add flour and toss to coat. Shake off excess.
- Heat a heavy-based, large casserole pot over medium-high heat until it is very hot. Add 1 tablespoon of oil then brown beef, about 6 mins. Remove beef to a sieve set over a bowl to remove any excess fat.
- Add remaining oil to the pan and cook shallots, celery, rosemary, bay leaf and garlic, stirring occasionally and adjusting heat as needed, for 4 mins, or until vegetables start to soften and brown.
- Stir in the wine and scrape up browned bits on base of pot.
- Add tomatoes, beef, stock and orange peel. Bring gently to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 11/2 hrs.
- Add pumpkin and parsnip, cover and cook for 20 mins, then remove lid and cook a further 10 mins, or until vegetables are tender and beef is tender enough to be cut with a spoon.
- Fold in silverbeet and cook for 3-4 mins until wilted.
- Spoon stew into bowls and serve with warm, crusty bread
Nutritions of Marsala braised beefcalories: 661.791 calories
calories: 25.2 grams fat
calories: 8.7 grams saturated fat
calories: 48.8 grams carbohydrates
calories: 14.2 grams sugar
calories: 54 grams protein
calories: 159 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 978 milligrams sodium